Sandra Esteves is a Professor in Bioprocess Technology for Resource Recovery: Energy and Materials at the Sustainable Environment Research Centre, University of South Wales and also directs the Wales Centre of Excellence for Anaerobic Digestion. Sandra has a BSc (Hons) Energy and Environmental Technology and a PhD in the Monitoring and Control of Anaerobic and Aerobic Treatment Processes. Sandra has 20 years experience in anaerobic processes technology for resource recovery and her R&D has been funded by EPSRC, Welsh Government, EU-IEE, EU-FP (4, 6, 7), Carbon Trust, NERC, RU-ERDF, EU-A4B, EU-KEF, Innovate UK and BBSRC for over £9M. Sandra has also provided technical consultancy and support to government and industry (including over 100 companies). Her research has focused on design, monitoring, modelling, control and optimisation of anaerobic and aerobic processes, sensor development, microbial ecology and profiling, feedstocks and digestates characterisation, pre and post processing, power to gas conversions and biological biogas upgrading, carboxylic acids and polyhydroxyalkanoates production and systems LCA/economics benchmarking. Current interests extend to a wide remit namely the integration of anaerobic bioprocesses in biorefining as well as with a number of other industrial processes and energy systems.
She is currently part of the Scientific Advisory Council of the European Biogas Association and the UK ADBA Cost Competitiveness Task Force. She was a co-director of the KEF Waste Treatment Technology Network and the KEF Consortium for Industrial Training in Waste Treatment Technology. She has been a reviewer for UK and other European research councils as well as a panellist for funding competitions related to the full scale deployment of AD/biogas systems. She has contributed to the development of the PAS 110 and the standard environmental permitting rules for AD plants.
She launched the MSc Renewable Energy and Resource Management and was the Project Manager for the EU-ESF grant on HE Skills in Renewable Energy. She lecturers on the MSc on waste and wastewater treatment processes and environmental policy and legislation modules and is the module leader for the specialist module ‘anaerobic treatment processes’. She has also lectured on environmental and energy technologies in HE Institutions in Portugal and in Malaysia. She has been previously work as a H&S and Environmental officer for DELPHI Automotive Systems in Portugal as well as an environmental consultant for SEIA in Portugal.
Sandra has led and has been a co-investigator for numerous R&D projects. Which have been funded to over £9M e.g.
- Innovate UK/BBSRC (2016) ‘Oscillatory Baffled Reactor for 1C gas Bioconversion for Energy Production and Storage’ in collaboration with Nitech solutions, Principal Investigator (£240k total project cost)
- Innovate UK (2015) ‘Renewable Synthetic Methane: Integration of Renewable Energy with Biogas Upgrading for Gas Grid Decarbonisation & Energy Storage’ in collaboration with ITM Power, Wessex Water, Wales and West Utilities and BPE (£40k total project cost)
- Loowatt/TSB (2014-2016) ‘Evaluation of anaerobic degradability of biopolymers’ Principal Investigator (£70k project cost)
- EU-FP7-SME (2012-2015) ‘ORION – ORganic waste management by a small-scale Innovative automated system of anaerobic digestION’ – Co-Investigator (€3.8M total project cost)
- WG / ERDF (2008-2015) ‘Wales Centre of Excellence for Anaerobic Digestion’ – Principal Investigator (£2.3 M total project cost)
- WG-ERDF/A4B (2013 -2014) ‘SuPERPHA – Systems and Product Engineering Research for Polyhydroalkanoates (PHA)’. Partnership includes Universities of Bangor and Swansea and industrial partners: Aber Instruments, FRE-Energy, NCH, Axium Process, Welsh Water, Thames Water, Loowatt, Kautex-Textron, Excelsior, Scitech, Nextek, Loowatt and Waitrose – Principal Investigator (£1.2M total project cost)
- WG-ERDF A4B (2013 – 2014) ‘Advanced Anaerobic Processes and Biogas Systems’. Funding for largely capital equipment to enhance laboratory research facilities for the Wales Centre of Excellence for Anaerobic Digestion, and to establish collaborative R&D projects. Principal Investigator(£880k total project cost)
- EU-IEE (RTD partner) (2011-2014) Biomethane Regions project: Increase biogas production by monitoring and control of full scale AD plants Co-Investigator (£1M total project cost)
- Government and Private organisations (2010-2015) Research and consultancy contracts from the private sector – collaborators include Welshwater, Tamar, Projen Energy, Warburtons, AMEC Global Renewables, Veolia, ARUP, NCH, Imtech, Severn Trent, WRAP among others ( >£400k contract research)
- ERDF (Innovation) (2010 – 2014) ‘CymruH2Wales Biohydrogen, biogas and biopolymer production, LCA’ Principal Investigator (WP5 – Leader and Co-I for WPs4, 6 and 7) (£6M total project cost)
- NERC (2006-2009) Towards Sustainable Energy Consortium (TSEC) BIOSYS consortium project. Co-Investigator (£108k)
- EU-FP6 (2006-2009) ‘REduction, MOdification and VALorisation of Sludge (REMOVALs)’ Co-Investigator (€4.12M total project cost)
- Welsh Assembly Government (2006-2009) ‘Wales Waste & Resources Research Centre (WWRReC)’ Co-Investigator (£560k total project cost)
- EPSRC/Thames Water CASE Studentship (2004-2007) ‘Improving Digestability and dewaterability of waste activated sludge’ Principal Investigator (£75k total project cost)
Other projects include:
- WEFO-ESF (2005-2008) ‘Funding to support the new MSc Renewable Energy and Resource Management in its first 3 years’ Project Director (£270k project cost)
- EU-KEF (2005-2008) ‘Research and Knowledge Transfer: Waste Treatment Technology Network (WTTN)’ Co-Director (£209k project cost)
- EU-KEF (2006-2007) ‘Consortium for Industrial Training Waste Management’ Co-Director (£295k project cost)
She has co-supervised over 60 MSc thesis, has managed/mentored twelve post-doctoral fellows and has conducted the following research programme supervisions:
Research Students Supervised:
- Directed the PhD of Des Devlin ‘Investigation of the Effects of Pretreatments on the Digestibility and Dewaterability of Sewage Sludge’ (funded by EPSRC/Thames Water) (awarded in 2012)
- Co-supervised the MPhil of Samantha Paterson ‘The viability and public perception of the introduction of bio-hydrogen technology to Wales with specific reference to anaerobic dark fermentation of agricultural crops (awarded in 2012)
- Directed the PhD of Tim Patterson ‘Life Cycle Analysis of Biomass Derived Hydrogen and Methane as Fuel Vectors, and a Critical Analysis of their Future Development in the UK’ (funded by WG and ERDF) (awarded in 2013)
- Directed the PhD of Pearl Passanha ‘Improved Polyhydroxyalkanoate Production from Selected Volatile Fatty Acids Using Cupriavidus necator’(funded by ERDF) (awarded in 2014)
- Co-supervised the PhD of Arseniy Popov ‘Bio-Electrolytic Hydrogen Production’ project within the SUPERGEN Sustainable Hydrogen Energy Consortium (awarded in 2015)
- Co-supervisor for PhD of Ben Jobling-Purser ‘Improving VFA, Hydrogen and Methane production from Food Waste Substrates for Optimised Resource Recovery’(funded by ERDF) (awarded in 2016)
Current Research Students:
- Director of studies for PhD Ivo Oliveira ‘Optimisation of dewatering of sewage sludge digestates’ (funded by ERDF, WG and EU-IEE) (started in 2013); (in collaboration with Dr. Muhammad Abu-Orf)
- Director of studies for PhD of Savvas Savvas ‘Development of a Novel Ex-Situ Hydrogenotrophic Methanogenesis Process Using Anaerobic Enriched Mixed Microbial Cultures as the Catalysts’ (submitted 2016) (supported via a University Centenary Scholarship and Innovate UK)
- Director of studies for MPhil of Adam Henley ’Investigation of anaerobic degradation of biopolymers (2015-2016) (supported by Loowatt/IUK)
- Tao B, Donnelly J, Oliveira I, Anthony R, Wilson V and Esteves SR. Enhancing microbial density and methane production in advanced anaerobic digesters by continual ammonia removal. Submitted
- Oliveira I., Reed J.P, Abu-Orf M, Wilson V, Jones D and Esteves SR. Monitoring of polymer conditioning of sewage sludge digestates using shear viscosity. Submitted
- Oliveira I., Reed J.P, Abu-Orf M, Wilson V, Jones D and Esteves SR. Conditioning and dewatering assessment of digestates from advanced and conventional anaerobic digestion of secondary sewage sludges. Submitted
- Kumi PJ, Henley A, Shana A, Wilson V, Esteves SR (2016) Volatile Fatty Acids Platform from Thermally Hydrolysed Secondary Sewage Sludge Enhanced Through Recovered Micronutrients from Digested Sludge. Water Research: 100: 267–276
- Tao B, Passanha P, Kumi P, Wilson V, Jones D and Esteves S R. (2016): Recovery and concentration of thermally hydrolysed waste activated sludge derived volatile fatty acids and nutrients by microfiltration, electrodialysis and struvite precipitation for polyhydroxyalkanoates production. Chemical Engineering Journal 295: 11–19
- Goonoo N, Bhaw-Luximon A, Passanha P, Esteves SR, Jhurry D. 2016. Third generation poly(hydroxyacid) composite scaffolds for tissue engineering. J Biomed Mater Res Part B 2015:00B:000–000.
- Popov AL, Michie I S, Kim JR, Premier GC, Dinsdale RM, Guwy AJ and Esteves SR (2016) Enrichment strategy for enhanced bioelectrochemical hydrogen production and the prevention of methanogenesis. (International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 41: 4120- 4131
- Kedia G., Passanha P., Dinsdale R. M., Guwy A.J. and Esteves S.R. (2014) Evaluation of feeding regimes to enhance PHA production using acetic and butyric acids by pure culture of Cupriavidus necator. Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering 19(6): 989-995
- Jobling-Purser B., Thai S.M., Fritz T., Esteves S.R., Dinsdale R.M. and Guwy A.J. (2014) An improved titration model reducing over estimation of TVFAs in AD of energy crop, animal slurry and food waste. Water Res. 27: 162-170.
- Passanha P., Kedia G., Dinsdale R.M., Guwy A.J., Esteves S.R. (2014). The use of NaCl addition for the improvement of PHA production by C. necator. Bioresource Tech. 163: 287-294.
- Patterson, T., Esteves, S., Carr, S., Zhang, F., Reed. J., Maddy, J., Guwy, A. (2014) Life Cycle Assessment of the Electrolytic Production and Utilization of Low Carbon Hydrogen Vehicle Fuel. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 39: 7190-7201
- Raposo F., Borja R., Cacho J.A., Mummec J., Orupõld K., Esteves S., Noguerol-Arias J., Picard S., Nielfa A., Scherer P., Wierinck I., Aymerich E., Cavinato C., Rodriguez D.C., García-Mancha N., Lens P.N.T., Fernández-Cegrí V. (2013) Review – First international comparative study of volatile fatty acids in aqueous samples by chromatographic techniques: Evaluating sources of error. Trends in Analytical Chemistry 51: 127–144
- Passanha P, Esteves S.R., Kedia G., Dinsdale R.M. and Guwy A.J. (2013) Increasing Polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) Yields From Cupriavidus necator by using Filtered Digestate Liquors. Increasing polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) yields from Cupriavidus necator by using filtered digestate liquors. Bioresource Technology 147: 345–352
- Williams J., Williams G., Dinsdale R., Guwy A. and Esteves S. (2013) Monitoring methanogenic population dynamics in a full scale anaerobic digester to facilitate operational management. Bioresource Technology 140:234-42
- Kedia G., Passanha P., Dinsdale R. M., Guwy A.J., Lee M. and Esteves S.R. (2013) Addressing the Challenge of Optimum Polyhydroxyalkanoate Harvesting: Monitoring Real Time Process Kinetics and Biopolymer Accumulation Using Dielectric Spectroscopy. Bioresource Technology 134: 143–150
- Reed J P, Devlin D., Esteves S.R., Dinsdale R. and Guwy A. (2013) Integration of NIRS and PCA techniques for the process monitoring of a sewage sludge anaerobic digester. Bioresource Technology 133:398-404.
- Patterson T., Esteves S.R., Dinsdale R, Guwy A, and Maddy J. (2013). Life Cycle Assessment of Biohydrogen and Biomethane Production and Utilisation as a Vehicle Fuel. Bioresource Technology 131: 235–245
- Premier, G.C., Kim J.R., Massanet-Nicolau J., Kyazze G., Esteves S., Penumathsa B. KV, Rodríguez J., Maddy J., Dinsdale R.M., Guwy A.J. (2013) Integration of biohydrogen, biomethane and bioelectrochemical systems. Renewable Energy, 49: 188-192
- Popov A.L., Kim J.R., Dinsdale R.M., Esteves S.R., Guwy A.J., and Premier G.C. (2012) The Effect of Physico-chemically Immobilized Methylene Blue and Neutral Red on the Anode of Microbial Fuel Cell Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering 17 (2): 361-370
- Devlin D.C., Esteves S.R.R., Dinsdale R M and Guwy A J. (2011) The Effect of Acid Pretreatment on the Anaerobic Digestion and Dewatering of Waste Activated Sludge. Bioresource Technology 102: 4076–4082.
- Patterson T., Esteves S., Dinsdale R., Guwy A. (2011). An evaluation of the policy and techno-economic factors affecting the potential for biogas upgrading for transport fuel use in the UK. Energy Policy, 39, 1806 – 1816.
- Patterson T., Esteves S., Dinsdale R., Guwy A. (2011). Life Cycle Assessment of Biogas Infrastructure Options on a Regional Scale. Bioresource Technology, 102, 7313 – 7323.
- Reed J.P. Devlin D., Esteves S.R.R., Dinsdale R. and Guwy, AJ. (2011) Performance parameter prediction for sewage sludge digesters using reflectance FT-NIR spectroscopy. Water Research. 45 (8): 2463-2472.
- Massanet-Nicolau J., Guwy A., Dinsdale R., Premier G. and Esteves S. (2010) Production of Hydrogen from Sewage Biosolids in a Continuously Fed Bioreactor: Effect of Hydraulic Retention Time and Sparging. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 35 (2) 468-478.
- Kyazze G., Popov A., Dinsdale R., Esteves S., Hawkes F., Premier G., Guwy A. (2010). Influence of catholyte pH and temperature on hydrogen production from acetate using a two chamber concentric tubular microbial electrolysis cell. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 35 (15) 7716-7722.
- Patterson T., Dinsdale R.M and Esteves S. (2008). A review of energy balances and emissions associated with biomass derived transport fuels relevant to the UK context. Energy & Fuels 22 (5) 3506-3512.
- Varma B.V.K., Premier G.C., Kyazze G., Dinsdale R., Guwy A.J., Esteves S. and Rodríguez J. (2008) ADM1 can be applied to continuous bio-hydrogen production using a variable stoichiometry approach. Water Research 42: 4379 – 4385.
- Esteves S.R.R., Wilcox S.J., Hawkes D.L., O’Neill C. and Hawkes F.R. (2001) The Development of a Neural Network Based Monitoring & Control System for Biological Wastewater Treatment Systems. International Journal of Condition Monitoring & Diagnostic Engineering Management 4(3): 22-28.
- Esteves S.R.R., Wilcox S.J, O’Neill C., Hawkes F.R. and Hawkes D.L. (2000) On-line Monitoring of Anaerobic-Aerobic Biotreatment of a Simulated Textile Effluent for Selection of Control Parameters. Environmental Technology 21(8): 927-936.
- O’Neill C., Hawkes F.R., Hawkes D.L., Esteves S. and Wilcox S.J. (2000) Anaerobic-Aerobic Biotreatment of Simulated Textile Effluent Containing Varied Ratios of Starch and Azo Dye. Water Research 34(8): 2355-2361.
- O’Neill C., Lopez A., Esteves S.R.R., Hawkes F.R., Hawkes D.L., Wilcox S. (2000) Azo-dye degradation in an anaerobic-aerobic treatment system operating on simulated textile effluent – Short Contribution. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 53: 249-254.
- O’Neill C., Hawkes F.R., Esteves S.R.R, Hawkes D.L, Wilcox S.J.(1999) Anaerobic and aerobic treatment of simulated textile effluent, Journal of Chem. Tech. and Biotech. 74: 993-999.
Books and Reports:
- Esteves S., Oliveira I., Williams J., Hegarty F., Devlin D. and Reed J. (March 2014) Demonstrating Management Systems at Full-Scale Anaerobic Digestion Plants – Cardiff Waste Water Treatment Works (South Wales), IEE Biomethane Regions Project Report (Task 4.3).
- Esteves S., Williams J., Williams G., Dinsdale R. and Guwy A. (March 2014) Demonstrating Management Systems at Full-Scale Anaerobic Digestion Plants – Insource Energy AD Plant (Rogerstone, Wales), IEE Biomethane Regions Project Report (Task 4.3).
- Esteves S., Miltner M., Puchas K. (2012) Review and Guide for Monitoring Anaerobic Digestion and Biogas Plants for the Optimisation of Biogas and Biomethane Production. IEE Biomethane Regions Project Report. (http://www.walesadcentre.org.uk/CaseStudies.aspx)
- Massanet-Nicolau J., Guwy A., Dinsdale R. Premier G and Esteves S. (2011) Production of hydrogen from sludge (Chp. 2) Reduction, Modification and Valorisation of Sludge (REMOVALS) Editor(s): Azael Fabregat, Christophe Bengoa, Josep Font and Frank Stueber. 15 Mar 2011. ISBN: 9781843393450
- Esteves S., Williams J. and Devlin D (2011) Dewatering of Digestates – Report for the Welsh Assembly Government
- Esteves S. and Devlin D. (2010) Food Waste Chemical Analysis. WRAP (Food Waste Chemical Analysis)
- Monson K.D., Esteves S.R., Guwy A.J. and Dinsdale R.M. (2007) Anaerobic Digestion of Biodegradable Municipal Wastes – A Review, University of Glamorgan ISBN 978-1-84054-156-5 (http://www.walesadcentre.org.uk/CaseStudies.aspx)
- Esteves S.R.R. (2002) Monitoring and Control of Biological Textile Wastewater Treatment Using Artificial Neural Networks, Doctoral Dissertation, The University of Glamorgan, South Wales, UK.
International/European Conference Papers and Posters:
- Savvas S, Dinsdale R, Patterson T and Esteves S (2015) Mesophilic Biomethanation of CO2 By A Self-regenerative Chemolithotrophic Anaerobic Mixed Culture. 14th World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion, Viña del Mar, Chile
- Kumi PJ, Passanha P,·Dinsdale RM, Reed JP, Guwy AJ and Esteves SR (2015). Lignocellulosic Hydrolysate For Polyhydroxyalkanoates Biosynthesis: Impact on PHA Harvesting Time Conference: 14th World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion, Viña del Mar, Chile
- Tao B, Passanha P, Kumi P, Dinsdale R, Guwy A, Wilson V, Jones D and Esteves S (2015) Concentration of volatile fatty acids and removal of nutrients from anaerobic hydrolysates of thermally pretreated waste activated sludges for polyhydroxyalkanoates production. AD14 World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion, Viña del Mar, Chile
- Oliveira I, Reed JP, Abu-Orf M, Wilson V, Jones D and Esteves S (2015) Preliminary digestate dewatering and conditioning assessment for an advanced anaerobic digestion plant: the importance of process conditions and rheological properties AD14 World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion, Viña del Mar, Chile
- Jobling-Purser B, Dinsdale R, Esteves S and Guwy A (2015) Operational Conditions For Maximising The Carboxylic Acid Production Platform From Food Waste. AD14 World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion, Viña del Mar, Chile.
- Tao B, Oliveira I, Devlin DC, Anthony R, Wilson V, Jones D and Esteves S (2015) Improving Methane Production From Advanced Digestion Of Thermally Treated Sludge By Ion-exchange. AD14 World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion, Viña del Mar, Chile.
- Oliveira, I, Reed, J.P., Abu-Orf, M., Wilson, V., Jones, D., Esteves, S. (2015) Impact of digestate storage conditions and rheological properties: preliminary investigations on conditioning and dewatering. Sludgetech 2015 in Surrey
- Passanha P., Kedia G., Dinsdale R.M., Guwy A.J. and Esteves S.R. (2014) Optimisation strategies for Polyhydroxyalkanoate production using Cupriavidus necator- 5th Workshop on PHA production by microbial consortia: where are we? Where should we go? 11-12th September 2014, INSA – Toulouse, France.
- Passanha P., Kedia G., Dinsdale R.M., Guwy A.J. and Esteves S.R. (2014) NaCl addition for increased Polyhydroxyalkanoate production by Cupriavidus necator -– poster at the 16th European Congress on Biotechnology, 13-16th July 2014, Edinburgh International Conference Centre, United Kingdom.
- Passanha P., Esteves S.R. Kedia G., Dinsdale R.M., and Guwy A.J. (2013) Monitoring and Optimisation of Polyhydroxyalkanoate production through the use of volatile fatty acids and digestates – Asian Congress on Biotechnology, 15-19th December 2013, IIT Delhi, India.
- Oliveira, I., Hegarty, F., Reed, J., Victoria W., V. and Esteves, S.R. (2013) Ammonia stripping methodologies for pre and post digested thermally hydrolysed waste activated sludge: Preliminary investigations. 18th European Biosolids & Organic Resources Conference & Exhibition, 19th November 2013, Manchester.
- Williams J. B, Williams H.G., Dinsdale R., Guwy A. and Esteves S. (2013) Operational control and optimisation of a full scale digester based on multi-parameter monitoring including microbial population profiles. Accepted to 13th World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion, 25-28th June 2013, Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
- Kedia G., Passanha P., Dinsdale R.M., Guwy A.J. and Esteves S.R. (2013) The Value of Digestate Nutrients in Biopolymer Production. Accepted to 13th World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion, 25-28th June 2013, Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
- Patterson T., Esteves S., Dinsdale R., and Guwy A.J. (2013) Life Cycle Assessment of Biohydrogen and Biomethane Production and Utilisation as a Vehicle Fuel. Accepted as a poster to the 13th World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion, 25-28th June 2013, Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
- Devlin D.C., Esteves S.R., Dinsdale R. and Guwy A.J. (2012) Evaluation of Chemical and Thermal Pretreatments on Digestibility of WAS and Mixed Sewage Sludges. 17th European Biosolids & Organic Resources Conference, Seminar & Exhibition 19-21st November 2012, The Royal Armouries, Leeds, UK
- Esteves S., Passanha P., Kedia G., Dinsdale R. and Guwy A. (2012) Production of PHA from filtered digestates by C necator & optimisation of harvesting time 4th European Workshop on Polyhydroxyalkanoate Production, 20th Sept 2012, Rome, Italy
- Esteves S., Devlin D., Dinsdale R. and Guwy A. (2011) Methodologies For Assessing Feedstocks and Digestate Batch Anaerobic Biodegradability. 16th European Biosolids & Organic Resources Conference & Exhibition 14-16th November 2011, The Royal Armouries, Leeds, UK
- Reed J.P., Devlin D., Esteves S.R.R., Dinsdale R. and Guwy A.J. (2011) Lifting The Lid On Process Optimisation For Anaerobic Digestion. 16th European Biosolids & Organic Resources Conference & Exhibition 14-16th November 2011, The Royal Armouries, Leeds, UK
- Williams H.G., Kumi, P.J., Devlin, D., Williams, J., Dinsdale, R., Esteves, S., Guwy, A. Lawrenson, G. (2011) Squeezing More Energy From Feedstocks: Enzyme Addition and Enzymatic Activity Monitoring. 16th European Biosolids & Organic Resources Conference & Exhibition 14-16th November 2011, The Royal Armouries, Leeds, UK
- Edeki L., Esteves S. and Guwy A. (2011) Modelling of Hollow Fibre Membranes System for Biogas Upgrading. 16th European Biosolids & Organic Resources Conference & Exhibition 14-16th November 2011, The Royal Armouries, Leeds, UK
- Esteves S, Devlin D., Dinsdale R., Guwy A. (2011) Performance of various methodologies for assessing batch anaerobic biodegradability. International IWA Symposium on anaerobic digestion of solid Wastes and Energy Crops – 28th August – 1st September, 2011 Vienna, Austria (Poster)
- Patterson T., Esteves S., Dinsdale R. and Guwy A. (2011) Evaluation of the Policy and Economic Factors Affecting the Use of Biomethane as a Transport Fuel in the UK. International IWA Symposium on anaerobic digestion of solid Wastes and Energy Crops – 28th August – 1st September, 2011 Vienna, Austria.
- Devlin D., Esteves S., Dinsdale R., Guwy A. (2010) ‘Investigating the Effect of Acid Pretreatment of Waste Activated Sludge on Subsequent Anaerobic Digestion’ 12th World congress on Anaerobic Digestion, 31 October 2010 to 4 November 2010, Guadalajara, Mexico (Poster)
- Guwy A., Kyazze G., Dinsdale R., Premier, G., Massanet-Nicolau, J., Hawkes F., Esteves S., Vazquez Diaz I. and A. Ahmed (2008) The Status of Biohydrogen Production in the UK: Laboratory Scale to Pilot Scale. Tokyo, Japan, December 2008.
- Esteves SR, Monson KD, Guwy AJ and Dinsdale RM (2007) Anaerobic Digestion of Biodegradable Municipal Waste – A European Perspective, 12th European Biosolids and Organic Resources Conference. Manchester, UK 12th – 14th November 2007
- Massanet-Nicolau J, Guwy, A., Dinsdale, R., Premier G. and Esteves S. (2007) The Anaerobic Fermentative Production of Hydrogen from Sewage Sludge, 11th World Congress, Anaerobic Digestion Bio-energy for our Future, Brisbane, Australia, 23-27 September 2007.
- Devlin D, Esteves SR, Dinsdale RD, Guwy AJ (2007) Evaluation of the Oxitop®-C system for assessing sewage sludge digestibility. Poster Paper at the 11th World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion – Bio-energy for our Future, Brisbane, Australia, 23-27 September 2007 (Poster)
- Esteves SRR, Hawkes DL, Hawkes FR, Guwy AJ, O’Neill C, Dinsdale RM and Wilcox SJ (1998) Prediction of Remedial Actions During the Biological Degradation of Textile Effluents by Neural Networks. Proceedings of the 11th International Congress on Condition Monitoring and Diagnostic Engineering Management, COMADEM ’98, Tasmania, Australia, December 1998.
- Keynote Presentation – Redesigning Anaerobic Digestion Technology – Resource Recovery, Energy Production and Storage, Chemicals and Materials Production, ICARET 2016 23rd February 2016, Kuala Lumpur – Malaysia
- Advances in Biogas Upgrading & Injection – Hydrogenotrophic Methanogenesis: Performance & robustness of a self-regenerative biocatalyst AERIOGEN® European Biomethane Conference, 12th October 2015, Berlin
- Advances in Biogas Upgrading – Hydrogenotrophic Methanogenesis: Performance & robustness of a self regenerative biocatalyst AERIOGEN®, REGATEC Barcelona, 7-8 May 2015
- Panel Discussion ‘Feedstocks Supply and Demand – Addressing the challenges around feedstock security’ RWM 2014, 16th September 2014, NEC Birmingham
- Process Optimisation Through Advanced Monitoring: Recent Research and Facilities Related to PHA and Biogas Production Processes. 22nd August 2014, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia
- Advanced Monitoring of Digesters – Chemical Multi-parameterization and Microbial Population Profiling. Seminar on Anaerobic Digestion – Advancements in Anaerobic Digestion, 19th August 2014, Marriot Hotel, Putrajaya, Malaysia
- Future Trends and Advancements in Anaerobic Digestion. Seminar on Anaerobic Digestion – Advancements in Anaerobic Digestion, 19th August 2014, Marriot Hotel, Putrajaya, Malaysia
- Resource and Energy Recovery in Wales, Sustainability Live! Birmingham, 3rd April 2014
- Importance of Process Monitoring in Optimising Biogas Production, BIOGAS13 Congress, 4th December 2013 – St Pölten, Austria
- Research Needs and Opportunities in Anaerobic Digestion and Biogas, Sector Panel Discussion ADBA R&D Forum, 12-13 November 2013, Guisborough, UK
- Controlling Digesters’ Chemical Matrices to Drive Microbial Communities and Produce More Biogas’, ADBA R&D Forum, 12-13 November 2013, Guisborough, UK
- Operational Control and Optimisation of a Full-scale Digester Based on Multi-parameter Monitoring Including Microbial Population Profiles, ADBA, UK AD & BIOGAS, 3-4 July 2013, Birmingham
- Digestates in a Biorefinery Application: Biopolymer Production, ADBA, UK AD & BIOGAS, 3-4 July 2013, Birmingham
- ‘Making Polymers Out of Digestate’ – Biogaz Europe, Nantes France 20-21st March 2013
- ‘Anaerobic Digestion Process – Optimisation and Innovations for Increased Energy Generation and Sustainability’ Key note – 4th International Conference on Energy and Environment, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 4-5th March 2013
- Low Carbon Biopolymers, Chemicals and Gases from Wastes – LCRI Conference Cardiff, 12-13th November 2012
- The Status of AD & Biogas Upgrading in Wales and the UK – FUEL – Saving Money via Resource Management, Alternative Sources, Conversion to more Valuable and Environmental Fuels in collaboration with Logistics Sector Skills, 17th September 2012, Upper Glyntaff, University of Glamorgan
- Integration of Anaerobic Digestion & Biopolymers – Making the recycling loop work! Leading IB: Focus on Bio-Based Products 13th Sept 2012 Birmingham
- Research & Innovation in Waste Treatment, Renewable Energy and Generation Of Green Products – 19th July 2012, UNITEN – Indah Water Konsortium, Kuala Lumpur STWs, Malaysia
- Microbial Profiling – A Valuable Tool for Understanding and Controlling Anaerobic Digesters – ADBA UK AD & BIOGAS Trade Show and Conference 4th and 5th July 2012 NEC Birmingham
- Integration of AD and Bioplastics – Making the recycling loop work! – ADBA UK AD & BIOGAS Trade Show and Conference 4th and 5th July 2012 NEC Birmingham
- An Evaluation of Technologies Available to Enhance the Use of Digestate – Example: Biopolymer Production – ADBA annual AD R&D Forum 24 April 2012, FERA, York
- The Value of Anaerobic Process Gases and Intermediates in Non-energy Applications – High Value Products from Anaerobic Processes – New Market Opportunities, 26 January 2012 – Bangor
- Recycling Bioplastics Through AD Processes – High Value Products from Anaerobic Processes – New Market Opportunities, 26 January 2012 – Bangor
- Maximising Anaerobic Digestion Outputs for a Recycling Economy – ADBA annual AD R&D Forum 1st – 2nd November 2011 – Bristol
- Monitoring and Control Regimes for Keeping the Anaerobic Consortia Happy. UK AD & BIOGAS Trade Show and Conference 6th July 2011 NEC Birmingham
- Status of AD/Biogas/Biomethane in England and Wales – Biomethane Regions Project – Kick off Meeting 24-25th May 2011 – Cardiff, South Wales
- Monitoring and Control Regimes in Anaerobic Digestion Systems – Inaugural Bio-Methane Regions Event – Training the Trainers 26 – 27th May 2011 – University of Glamorgan, South Wales
- Introduction to the Anaerobic Digestion Process for Food Wastes and Anaerobic Processes and Biogas Activity at the University of Glamorgan 4th February 2011 – Burges Salmon office (Bristol)
- Anaerobic Digestion. Seminar CIWM South West and Wales 11th November 2010 – Bristol
- ‘Anaerobic Digestion – A Low Carbon Technology (Biodegradable Municipal Waste Treatment and Energy Production’ 8th Wales National Waste Management Conference County Hall, 12th February 2009, Cardiff Bay
- ‘Anaerobic Digestion – What is it and what can it do?’ – South West Wales Regional Waste Management Joint Committee Meeting – Neath Civic Centre, 3rd April 2009
- ‘Role of Anaerobic Digestion in a Sustainable Wales’, Anaerobic Digestion and the Planning Process Workshop. Metropole Hotel, Llandrindod Wells, 25th June 2009
- The Wales Centre of Excellence for Anaerobic Digestion – Role and Activities’, Implementing Anaerobic digestion in Wales Workshop. Cardiff City Hall, 11th November 2008
- ‘Anaerobic Digestion Technology for Waste Treatment and Energy Production’, Llandrindod Wells, 18th September 2008
- ‘Anaerobic Digestion Technology for Biodegradable Municipal Waste Treatment and Energy Production’, Conference on Energy from Waste in Wales 2007 – Sustainable waste management; Innovative energy development, All Nations Centre, Cardiff, 5th July 2007.
- ‘Optimising Existing Assets’ Workshop of EPSRC Network for the Sustainable Use of Energy in Water and Wastewater Treatment. Cranfield University, 12th September 2006.
- ‘1st Workshop on Anaerobic Digestion Solutions for the UK’, Pontypridd, 2nd and 3rd November 2004.
- 'The Science and Technology of Anaerobic Digestion’, DTI-Biowise Workshop, Pontypridd, 15th of September 2004.
- IWA member
- REA member
- ADBA member
- EBA member